Re: AMD 990X on kernels 3.x

On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:38:58 +0200, dagecko wrote:

(...)

> But when I move to a kernel 3.x (with using wheezy), everything goes
> bad. When I could make the system boots it is with a lot of complains.
> In any of the situations it could never start x (even with upgrading
> every packages in wheezy).

My crystal ball can't see the errors you are getting. Would you mind to
upload the system "complaints" to some site so we can check?

> The thing is that it seems on kernel 3.x many of the hardwares that
> seemed to be supported on kernel 2.6.y are no more or badly supported.

Don't let the name confuses you: kernel 3 is yet another 2.6.x. And a new
kernel version can always have unexpected results despite the branch
name :-)

> I have many issues with USB (ie, I cannot make my keyboard recognized
> but with using the usb3 port only !), or with the harddrive (some ATA
> read/write errors), the network cannot connect to the rooter complaining
> that no ipv6 routers is present) and that no driver can be found to run
> X.

You better open a thread for each problem (USB, hard disk, network and
VGA) so they can be properly replied and archived.

> Has anyone the same problems on such similar config ? What should I do ?
> What do you recommand ? I really need to have wheezy packages, for
> development purposes.

I have not noticeable hardware problems with wheezy in my netbook (just
the wifi driver that is getting me nuts) but with newer hardware, you
know... the chances you can experience problems increase.

> I can provide some dmesg, xorg.log and other outputs if requested.

Yes, please and also the boot's log if you have a problem with botting
(you have to enable it first) :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón