Re: check a file within a certain time

On Sun, 6 May 2012 01:55:24 +0800, ron wrote in message
<[🔎] CAAXo3XK9hOXQqSrGqH3AWdVK2PFGZW+0tJjzARuBcON5J8dtYA@mail.gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> This is more of a general linux question. I would like to test if a
> file if exists, and if the test does not respond in 5 seconds it'
> considered failed.

..you want to do a test within a deadline.
The deadline is 5 seconds, and,
you want to test if a file is existing.

> reason for this is that i have web servers that has mounted nfs
> volumes, but when the NFS server is high on load accessing the nfs
> mount on the web servers seems slow.
> the mount is not disconnected, it's just that there is a delay
> accessing it

..so, the test should be _read_ the file to verify it _is_ useful,
rather than test whether it was on a mounted disk before it died?

> so what i'd like to do is test a file in the nfs mount e.g.
> /var/www/nfsmount/checknfs.txt if it was detected within 5 seconds it
> is ok if not i will send me an email alert about it.
> i was trying the "read" command: read -t 5 <
> /var/www/nfsmount/checknfs.txt  or cat /var/www/nfsmount/checknfs.txt
> | read -t 5 but it does not give me anything.
>
> any idea how this can be done? TIA.

.."timeout -k 5 test " (chk "man timeout")
or "until [timeout -k 5] ;do test ;done"?
(I assume you know how to do your tests.)
Note that an until loop tests for the terminating
condition at the _top_ of the loop.
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/loops1.html

> Regards,
> Ron