Re: Screen relics

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:

On 04/05/12 17:07, Bret Busby wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:

Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 13:48:42
From: Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Swap space not used (now screen relics).

On 04/05/12 15:30, Bret Busby wrote:

And, Iceweasel (and it may have happened with the iceape browser; I am
not sure - have not used it for a couple of weeks, now, I think) has a
habit of leaving fragments of dialogue boxes on top of everything else
on the desktop, hiding parts of the screen with the dialogue box
fragments, which only disappear when I kill or crash iceweasel. The only
thing that displays on top of the dialogue box fragments, is when I
invoke the screensaver, which overwrites evrything on the screen (at
least, for the present time)

I would include a screenshot showing this, but I do not know whether
this mailing list allows attachments.

It's preferable not to attach images. Use a screenscrape site.

I've seen that happen before - I don't believe the problem lies with
Iceweasel though, more likely a video driver/window manager problem

If you gave us (in a fresh post) information about your video etc
someone might be able to help.

lshw shows:

             product: Core Processor PCI Express x16 Root Port
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 12
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:24 ioport:e000(size=4096)
memory:fa000000-fbefffff ioport:ce000000(size=301989888)
                product: GT218 [GeForce 310]
                vendor: nVidia Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a2
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
                resources: irq:16 memory:fa000000-faffffff
memory:ce000000-cfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:ec00(size=128)
                product: High Definition Audio Controller
                vendor: nVidia Corporation
                physical id: 0.1
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.1
                version: a1
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
                resources: irq:16 memory:fbe7c000-fbe7ffff

Is that what is needed?

I am running GNOME.

Synaptic shows the GNOME version as 1:2.30+7

The Iceweasel version shows as

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv: Gecko/20120421
Iceweasel/3.5.16 (like Firefox/3.5.16)

What other information is needed?

Are you using any effects that require 3D?

Bret Busby
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,