Re: Windows domain user in Linux

On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:32:31 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> i am using winbind for samba to fetch users from windows domain. now i
> want to add a windows domain user "administrator" a member of group
> "root". however when i run the command it gives me an error.
>
> #useradd -G root administrator
> useradd: user 'administrator' already exists

Is the user already in an external database?

>From "man adduser":

***
CAVEATS
You may not add a user to a NIS or LDAP group. This must be performed on
the corresponding server.

Similarly, if the username already exists in an external user database
such as NIS or LDAP, useradd will deny the user account creation request.
***

In addition, if the user "administrator" already exists locally, you have
to use "usermod" instead.

Note: adding a user to the root's group can be dangerous.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón