Re: Where to store Icon for "xv"

On 04/05/12 03:25, Edward C. Jones wrote:
> I use up-to-date debian testing (wheezy), amd64 version, with kde.
>
> I have just compiled and installed the old image viewer "xv".  In
> stable (squeeze), there is an icon for xv that can be put on the
> panel. For testing (wheezy), the system could not find an xv icon, so
> I installed a blank icon.

Unnecessary - the system would have provided a blank one for you ;-p

> But an icon appears to exist in
> /usr/share/icons/mono/scalable/apps/xv.svgz.

That's only one place you'd expect to find an icon for xv on KDE.
If you want to use that particular icon either:-
; select it using the "icon browser"[*1]
; choose the "mono" theme, and it will then be used instead of the blank
icon

> The process for changing a application icon on the panel appears to
> be: Right click on the old icon Click Icon Settings

Alternative:-
Then click on "edit file type" (the spanner icon).
Then click on the actual icon in the "General" tab of the "Edit file
type" dialog.
That then opens the "icon browser"[*1]

> Click on the spot where the icon should be (upper left of Icon
> Settings window) Choose new icon. Where do I put xv.svgz (or any icon
> I download) so this process can find it?

This "process" can "find" "it" anywhere.
Installation normally sets the path to the icon for the application,
otherwise it's done manually (as you're doing).

By default system-wide icons go beneath /usr/share/icons/*

[*1]When you're using the icon browser the "System" (Mime types, etc) is
/usr/share/icons/$current_icon_theme. The "Other" (browse...) allows you
to select icons from any local path.

Generally you'll have multiple pixel sized icons plus a svg, you've just
listed the svg. You should also have .png icons. eg.:-

$ locate xv | grep /usr/share/icons
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/apps/xv.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/apps/xv.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/48x48/apps/xv.png

NOTE: - you may have the same structure beneath /usr/share/icons/mono
and other icon themes.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-