Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2012 #674

Please take me off this list.  Thanks.

From: "debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org" <debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org>
To: debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 3:54 AM
Subject: debian-user-digest Digest V2012 #674

----- Forwarded Message -----

debian-user-digest Digest                Volume 2012 : Issue 674

Today's Topics:
  Re: changing window managers in debi  [ Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> ]
  Re: eglibc fails to build from sourc  [ "Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c. ]
  Re: PS/2 Keyboard and Mice not worki  [ Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingsh ]
  Re: PS/2 Keyboard and Mice not worki  [ Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingsh ]
  Can't install flashplugin.nonfree. E  [ Han Soo Chang <hansoo77jp@gmail.com ]
  Re: changing window managers in debi  [ =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Gr=F6nqvist?=  ]
  Re: eglibc fails to build from sourc  [ Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> ]
  Re: Can't install flashplugin.nonfre  [ =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Gr=F6nqvist?=  ]
  Re: 2TB USB hard drive for backing u  [ Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingsh ]
  Re: SOLVED Re: genisoimage and burni  [ Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingsh ]
  Re: genisoimage and truncating of fi  [ Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingsh ]
  Re: Can't install flashplugin.nonfre  [ Han Soo Chang <hansoo77jp@gmail.com ]
  Re: genisoimage and truncating of fi  [ Kushal Kumaran <kushal.kumaran+debi ]
  Re: genisoimage and truncating of fi  [ keith <km3952@gmail.com> ]
  Re: Can't install flashplugin.nonfre  [ Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> ]
  Re: Shorewall 4.5.2.2 startup questi  [ Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmai ]
  Re: iptables service with debian      [ Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> ]
  Re: iptables service with debian      [ Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> ]
This is a sort of subquery to the question of how to change window
managers.  (And thanks again Johan, Camaleón, and Indulekha for your
earlier help.)

So the question is: supposing you compile a window manager yourself,
so that it does not come from the packaging system.

What is the standard best way of setting this new window manager as yours?

It certainly won't exist in any of the lists on the login page, since
debian could not know about it.

So, i googled around, and there's this page
    http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/debian/ch-X.html
which recommends just making an executable file
    /home/USER/.xsession
and putting in a sequence of commands there---which
could just be the path to your window manager.

I tried this, and . . . . it works.

But i feel a little uneasy about this, like this is not a best practice,
or some newer release of debian may break it.

(Note that the window manager i built is WindowMaker 0.95.2 which
is a few revisions ahead of the squeeze version.  And although it
certainly works, and i can launch applications, it doesn't look at all
like the squeeze version.  For example, it has a solid light purple
background, instead of the debian swirls.)

Thanks in advance for any info.

dan
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM, bibop554 - <bibop554@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I try to build eglibc from source but it fails. I'm on Debian squeeze 6.0.3
> I downloaded [eglibc_2.11.3.orig.tar.gz] and [eglibc_2.11.3-2.diff.gz]
> from http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libc6

Did you install the build dependencies?

$ apt-get build-dep eglibc

> Not sure if i made an error somewhere or if it is a bug.
> Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to ask more information

>From the apt-get man page:

build-dep causes apt-get to install/remove packages in an attempt to
satisfy the build dependencies for a source package.

Try again after doing that and see what happens.

--
Chris
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 07:07:30PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> So please help the OP to get it working. It's working for some of you,
> so if it isn't working for others, they spread FUD?

It is, when you say debian have dropped support for PS/2 keyboards and
mice.

  -- Napoleon Bonaparte
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 04:27:08PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> FWIW
> Not working: Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2 Compatible

What testing have you done?
i.e. Does it work in another computer? Does another type of PS/2 mouse
work in the "problem" computer?

Does gpm work in console mode:
    a) With problem mouse?
    b) With good mouse?

Once you have some idea where the problem is, then you can start fine
tuning your fault finding.

By using techniques like those, more often than not, you can solve the
problem yourself.

  -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Hi,

I recently installed debian squeeze, but I can't see youtube videos on
iceweasel.

$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Above command ends with a following error message. (My sources.list has non-free
included)

ERROR: wget failed to download
http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc
More information might be available at:
  http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

I consulted the webpage, and googled, but could not get useful information.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Han Soo
2012-04-30 05:36, Dan Hitt skrev:
> This is a sort of subquery to the question of how to change window
> managers.
> So the question is: supposing you compile a window manager yourself,
> so that it does not come from the packaging system.
>
> What is the standard best way of setting this new window manager as yours?
>
> It certainly won't exist in any of the lists on the login page, since
> debian could not know about it.
>
> So, i googled around, and there's this page
>      http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/debian/ch-X.html
> which recommends just making an executable file
>      /home/USER/.xsession
> and putting in a sequence of commands there---which
> could just be the path to your window manager.
>
> I tried this, and . . . . it works.
>
> But i feel a little uneasy about this, like this is not a best practice,
> or some newer release of debian may break it.

My internet suggests to look in the /usr/share/xsessions folder, and
create a new file there. The files there appear to be .desktop files,
whose format should be defined be the internet somewhere (a
freedesktop.org-related format, I believe).

I have not tested this.

Regards

Johan
On 2012-04-30 04:01 +0200, bibop554 - wrote:

> I try to build eglibc from source but it fails. I'm on Debian squeeze 6.0.3
> I downloaded [eglibc_2.11.3.orig.tar.gz] and [eglibc_2.11.3-2.diff.gz] from
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libc6
> Then:
> gzip -d eglibc_2.11.3-2.diff.gz
> tar xf eglibc_2.11.3.orig.tar.gz
> cd eglibc-2.11.3/
> patch < ../eglibc_2.11.3-2.diff                      <- no errors

A simpler and less error-prone way to unpack the source would be to use
"dpkg-source -x eglibc_2.11.3-2.dsc".

> cd ../build/                                                <- build/ is
> an empty directory
> ../eglibc-2.11.3/configure --prefix=$(pwd)      <- no fatal error
> make -j 10
>
> The compilation fails with the following error:
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../manual/errno.texi', needed by
> `../sysdeps/gnu/errlist.c'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/bibop554/compile_libc/eglibc-2.11.3/stdio-common'
> make[1]: *** [stdio-common/subdir_lib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bibop554/compile_libc/eglibc-2.11.3'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Not sure if i made an error somewhere or if it is a bug.

The Debian diff does not patch the source directly, but uses a patch
system named quilt.  You need to install the quilt package and then run
"make -f debian/rules patch".

The unpatched source does not build because Debian had to remove the
documentation, and the upstream build system is not prepared for that.

Cheers,
      Sven
2012-04-30 06:58, Han Soo Chang skrev:

> $ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
>
> ERROR: wget failed to download
> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc
> More information might be available at:
>    http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

Works for me.

If you run "update-flashplugin-nonfree --install" again, does it work now?

Otherwise:

If you paste the URL: <http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc> into a web-browser, do you see the (rahter short) file [0] containing a hash-key?

If that worked:

If you try fetching it with wget:
"wget http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc"
does it produce an error message?

You can add -v to the command lines for both undate-flasplugin-nofree and wget to get verbose output that you can paste here, if you want to.

Regards

Johan

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 08:27:03PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hmmm, I´d avoid those with 4 KB hardware sectors that lie to the OS they
> have 512 byte sectors. Although I think even those should work. But with
> 512 byte sectors you have a 2 TB limit when you use MBR partitioning.
>
> 3 TB disks with 4 KB sectors both hardware (physical) and software
> (logical) should just work, provided the Linux is new enough.
>
> On Squeeze use -cu as additional options (see manpage).

Sorry for jumping in here, but I can't figure out (from your post) which
command requires the additional options: -cu. Which manpage?

  -- Napoleon Bonaparte
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 02:17:28AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Split was indeed the answer, using it as ....... split -b 4000m
> /home/boztu/irishceltic.iso ...... and it splits the 18.9 gb file into
> 3.9 gb files which just need to be renamed as xaa.iso, or
> xab.iso/xac.iso, and then the  image is burnt using k3b.

Won't there be a problem with songs being split in the middle?

  -- Napoleon Bonaparte
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 02:47:11AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I am creating an iso with genisoimage prepatory to burning it to dvd
> for backing up of my music collection, and on checking the resulting
> disc I'm finding that the mp3 name is truncated to the first word of
> its title. I feel that this is happening with genisoimage and would
> obvioulsy like to have the full mp3 title.

It probably doesn't like spaces in filenames.
I'd convert all the files to names without spaces.
I'd also remove any single or double quotes in them.

I, myself, would be interested in a better way of doing this.

  -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Thanks for your help.

> If you run "update-flashplugin-nonfree --install" again, does it work now?

It gives me the same error.

> Otherwise:
>
> If you paste the URL:
> <http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc>
>
> into a web-browser, do you see the (rahter short) file [0] containing a
> hash-key?

Yes, I can see the page on my browser.

> If you try fetching it with wget:
> "wget
> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc"
> does it produce an error message?

This is the message I get.
I am inside a corporate LAN with a proxy server whose address is ns14:8080.

$ LANG="en_US.utf8" wget -v
http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc
--2012-04-30 14:42:43--
http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc
Resolving ns14... 10.1.1.12
Connecting to ns14|10.1.1.12|:8080... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1273 (1.2K) [text/plain]
fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc: Permission denied

Cannot write to `fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc' (Permission denied).

Is this a problem related to my proxy server?

Greetings,
Han Soo
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am creating an iso with genisoimage prepatory to burning it to dvd
> for backing up of my music collection, and on checking the resulting
> disc I'm finding that the mp3 name is truncated to the first word of
> its title. I feel that this is happening with genisoimage and would
> obvioulsy like to have the full mp3 title.
>
> The command to genisoimage is ......... genisoimage -o
> ~/irishceltic.iso /home/boztu/Music/Irish\ Celtic\ Music\ Collection\
> Version\ 2/ .......... which creates the file irishceltic.iso .
>
> I cant see anything in man genisoimage or its help file of any use for
> this problem, and would welcome any help that people can give.

Does enabling Rock Ridge extensions help?  Use the -r or -R option to
genisoimage.

--
regards,
kushal
Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am creating an iso with genisoimage prepatory to burning it to dvd
> for backing up of my music collection, and on checking the resulting
> disc I'm finding that the mp3 name is truncated to the first word of
> its title. I feel that this is happening with genisoimage and would
> obvioulsy like to have the full mp3 title.
>
> The command to genisoimage is ......... genisoimage -o
> ~/irishceltic.iso /home/boztu/Music/Irish\ Celtic\ Music\ Collection\
> Version\ 2/ .......... which creates the file irishceltic.iso .

Try it with:-

genisoimage -o irishceltic.iso -R -J -l -v -V "Irish Celtic" -hide-rr-moved .

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:58:35 +0900, Han wrote in message
<CADZ+JBr4V0RCu8x6oKhpeGQLyJ7+EJ0Qx-uXO_fTn1-H6k6hRw@mail.gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed debian squeeze, but I can't see youtube videos on
> iceweasel.
>
> $ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

..I prefer "aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree", it solves things
slightly differently.

..when sites whines about "too old flash", I go "aptitude remove \
flashplugin-nonfree &&aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree"

..note that you'll need your deb* lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
to end with "main contrib non-free".

> Above command ends with a following error message. (My sources.list
> has non-free included)
>
> ERROR: wget failed to download

..tried "aptitude install wget"?

> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc
> More information might be available at:
http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

> I consulted the webpage, and googled, but could not get useful
> information.
>
> I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,
> Han Soo

  Scenarios always come in sets of three:
On Du, 29 apr 12, 18:53:11, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> In /doc/shorewall-core there's nothing about this
> In /doc/shorewall-doc/ there are subfolders of HTML and HTML/images and
> manpages in great abundance but no README.
> In /usr/share/shorewall there are subfolders of Shorewall and config files but even
> there alas no README or mention of the etc/default/shorewall file.
> I might add that I also use shorewall-init and the /doc/shorewall-init of which
> resides no mention of this necessary file, /etc/default/shorewall.

/etc/default/<stuff> is Debian specific most of the times, which is why
it won't be mentioned in upstream documentation.

For Debian packages it is always a good idea to start by reading
/usr/share/doc/<package>/README.Debian which contains Debian specific
information.

Kind regards,
Andrei

>>> Because it makes no sense to re-initialize the ruleset every time an
>>> interface is activated.

>>> Iptables should be initialized from an initscript run before networking.
>>
>> I agree but until someone else pointed out that there was iptables-
>> persistent for that, there was no packaged way of doing so.
>>
>> Until iptables-persistent was released in July 2009, there wasn't a
>> packaged way of doing so and using "/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/" was the
>> recommended way, as documented in the Debian wiki.
>
> I have been running iptable scripts for years but never ran them from
> "/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/". In Debian I have always used the pre-up line
> in the interfaces file, in RedHat I used the rc.local file or created my
> own Sxx link in the rc.X drectories to get it started before the network
> came up.
>
> The other way to save/load iptables rules has been to use iptables-save
> and iptables-restore (or something like it) which I have used in the old
> days when there was RedHat 4.x (before it came to be known as Fedora) and
> so on.

AFAIK, using "/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/" or "pre-up ..." in
"/etc/network/interfaces" is essentially the same thing.

(I don't understand why you use "rc.local" on RHEL/Fedora because they
both have an iptables init script by default.)
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Tom H a écrit :
>> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 4:30 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

>>> Iptables should be initialized from an initscript run before networking .>>
>> I agree but until someone else pointed out that there was
>> iptables-persistent for that, there was no packaged way of doing so.
>
> Actually, the iptables package itself used to contain such facility. But
> it was removed in later versions.

I know. I've never understood why that facility was removes and am
glad that someone's seen fit to package iptables-persistent to
re-enable that facility.

>> Until iptables-persistent was released in July 2009, there wasn't a
>> packaged way of doing so and using "/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/" was the
>> recommended way, as documented in the Debian wiki.
>
> I am not going to argue endlessly about this, but IMO being mentionned
> in the Debian wiki does not make it "the recommended way".

Googling through Debian lists, I see that you've disliked
"/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/" since its inception; and rightly so.

But disliking the use of "/etc/network/if-pre-up.d/" for iptables
doesn't mean that Debian isn't committed to it and that it isn't that
way that we're expected to run iptables; although the existence of
iptables-persistent has given us an option other than creating our own
init script or using something more or less non-standard like the
apf-firewall or arno-iptables-firewall packages (or any other iptables
frontend; these are the two that I know of).