Macbook pro re-mapping single key

Hi to all,

I'm a newbie of Debian but using the Debian-Wiky I was able to install Debian 6 as single boot, on my MacBookPro (v.3.1). The only problem I notice, till now...., is about the Alt key. I bought the computer as used from a German guy ignoring that the keyboard has the particularity to has only the left Alt key instead of two. So the right Alt key is replaced by a second ENTER and the left Alt key is used as Meta key instead of Option key.

I tried to configure the keyboard with the graphical interface but I wasn't able solve my problem. If, for example I press Alt+Tab, I was able to switch between the different windows, but the Alt key doesn't work both in the various text editors (emacs, gedit...) and in the terminal, to type the extra character such as tilde, square brackets...

I think I should re-map my keyboard replacing the extra ENTER with the Alt(Option) key but I have no idea how to do this.

Do you have any suggestion?

Best Ricardo

Sent from iPod