Re: [OT] Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:30:09 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 01 May 2012 at 17:52:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > I do not understand why Subject: is different from the
>> >
>> >    Re: Install a package from testing?
>> >
>> > in your mail at
>> >
>> >    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/04/msg01825.html
>> >
>> > Also

>> > is puzzling because this is the Message-id: for msg01825.
>>
>> Well, "joe1" was replying to this message:
>
> joe1assistly, surely?

Yes. This is the "from" line where the name is faked to appear to come
from the list:

***
From: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <joe1assistly@gmail.com>
***

> You received the mail a minute afterwards because of your posting >
through gmane. I imagine you will have sufficient other examples to be
> able to check on a pattern.

The only pattern I have is the sender of the posts :-? and after checking
my Gmail Trash folder I can see that I'm still receiving e-mails coming
from that address, generated by this same thread.

> [Snip]
>
>> > Now for dates and times (taken from gmane) of the four posts in that
>> > thread:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> > Coincidence? I'd be looking at something happening in the interaction
>> > between the poster and gmane.
>>
>> I can't really tell.
>
> Classic fence-sitting. :)

:-)

I can't fight against an unknown source.

I could contact Gmail staff so they can consider removing the account but
I'm afraid that will be of no effect at all. Well, I'll do anyway.

>> It seems that other posters who don't use Gmane are also receiving the
>> messages.
>
> Let them post the headers and bodies then. Whatever is happening at
> gmane I think we can be certain the mails you got (and are still
> getting?) are not from other users on this list.

Still getting, yes.

And yes, I now don't think these messages are coming from users on this
mailing list, it looks more an automatism triggered by our (some?) posts
here but I don't know what could be, tough the common link for those who
receive the e-mails is indeed that we replied to posts here.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón