Re: W: best way to clone server data using rsync

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 10:19:42PM +0200, Tuxoholic wrote:
> I noticed rsh is not installed, it's linked to
> /etc/alternatives/rsh, which is linked to /usr/bin/ssh.
>
> Calling rsh instead of ssh should avoid file encryption during
> transfer, at least that was the intention.

That isn't what will happen. SSH will not allow you to turn off
encryption.

You may want to specify -O Ciphers=rc4 (or blowfish), both of
which are quite fast.

> The socket options boost transfer speed quite a lot, I usually have
> 65355 buffers on my samba server, using rsync directly I can
> increase it some more.

Have you tested this with ssh? It seems unlikely to me.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.