Re: Exim panics

Tony van der Hoff:

> On my Squeeze box, I am getting occasional panics from Exim, due to
> port 25 being in use. I imagine it's occasionally clashing with
> Thunderbird:

Thunderbird / Icedove will never bind to port 25. And even if it wanted
to, listening on ports < 1024 is only allowed for processes running as
root.

> 2012-04-29 16:55:16 socket bind() to port 25 for address ::1 failed:
> Cannot assign requested address: daemon abandoned
>
> What would be the preferred way of overcoming this problem?

You need to find out the source of the problem. Do you regularly restart
Exim?

One way might be to permanently run a loop like this to find the
culprit (as root):

# while true; do netstat -tlpn | grep :25 ; sleep 10 ; done

Another thing worth mentioning: your Exim always complains about the
IPv6 address ::1 (which equals 127.0.0.1 in IPv4). If you don't use
IPv6, you could try disabling it in Exim.

J.
--
When standing at the top of beachy head I find the rocks below very
attractive.