Re: ethernet device assignments

Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> writes:

 > In trying to track down some networking problems, I swapped the
 > ethernet adapter in my server. Since re-booting, it has been assigned
 > the moniker eth2 rather than eth1 (the motherbaord device is eth0).
>
 > So, how do I reset the second adapter to become eth1 again?

Look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Create a similar file, with the mac id of the card you want a specific
device id as ATTR(address ... etc and NAME="eth1"

Before you do that -- chances are you have already another device
configured to run as eth1, so look at the other files / other lines in
that file and see which device is configured to work as eth1.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
Distribute Free Software --