Re: Apache2 Not starting on reboot

"John W. Foster" <jfoster81747@gmail.com> writes:

 > My last upgrade of Debian stable on my production server produced an
 > error that is causing issues. Apache2 is not automatically restarting as
 > it should when the system is rebooted. This is a nightly occurrence and
 > is required for hardware testing reasons. Anyone have any ideas as to
 > what might be happening? I have checked the error log & see nothing that
 > looks suspect. Webmin shows that the Apache server is setup to start on
 > bootup. It seems to run fine after I manually restart the server after
 > the reboot.

Is apache configured to start in the default runlevel?

(Rest is for completeness and newbies reading the list)

Check /etc/inittab for the line with "initdefault" in it to identify
your default runlevel - it is usually 2.

Assuming your default runlevel is 2, there ought to be a symlink to
/etc/init.d/apache2 (or whatever) in /etc/rc2.d/

See the man page for update-rc.d on how to add apache to the default
runlevel. You  need to be  root to run update-rc.d

Sigh. I suddenly realise that for past several years, debian has  not
been giving me any reason to become root - except to update.

HTH.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,