Re: grub2 loop back is not working

On Sat 28 Apr 2012 at 16:48:00 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 22:48:56 +1200
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Have you googled? Also, Ubuntu questions should be asked on an Ubuntu
> > list.
> >

> It is not an ubuntu specific issue. OK, I have replaced the config with debian now,
> into a running grub2
>
> ` ` ` ` `
> menuentry "debian-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.iso" {
> loopback loop /debian-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.iso
> linux (loop)/install.amd/vmlinuz boot=install.amd iso-scan/filename=/debian-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.iso  noeject noprompt video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr
> initrd (loop)/install.amd/initrd.gz
> }

True, the question is not Ubuntu specific. However, being able to boot
an iso via loopback does depend on whether it has been built to support
that feature and how it goes about it.

One of my entries in 40_custom:

  menuentry "i386 netinst" {
  loopback loop /boot/isos/debian-6.0.4-i386-netinst.iso
  linux (loop)/install.386/vmlinuz
  initrd (loop)/install.386/initrd.gz

Telling GRUB where the iso is and the locations of the kernel and the
initrd are very often all that is required.

This works for me. Tested not five minutes ago. How do you go on with
it?