Re: Logging question

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:06:15 -0700, cletusjenkins wrote:

> I have a machine that is locking up every few days. It doesn't seem to
> be doing much when it happens, nor do I see anything in the syslog or
> messages files. Is there any way to enable extra logging to try to catch
> what is going wrong? Thanks.

The lock could come from different sources, either software based locks
(X server, kernel soft/hard lock...) or hardware ones (a device failure,
such as bad ram, micro over-heating, a problem with the power supply, a
hard disk issue...).

I would start by discarding X first (of course, if you are not running an
X server there's no need to try this ;-) ), so can you "ssh" to the
machine when it gets freezed?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón