Re: NEWBIE sanity check re gnome-ppp PLEASE

Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:

> At first I tried tried running it from sub-menu
> (Applications-Internet-GNOME ppp).
> Failure message was "Can not open modem." The logfile
> expanded it saying "Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied".

FIRST, find out what kind of modem you have, where it is,
and whether it's supported or not. Lots of them are not, or
are but you have to manually install some 3rd party driver.
Then install pppconfig and create your connection with
'sudo pppconfig' run in the terminal, then start the connection
with ppp-on-boot or manually using pon.
That's the simple, easy, reliable way to do it, and it doesn't
require any particular desktop (or even a desktop at all).
Also, do make sure your user is a member of the dip group.

--
 Indulekha

--
 Indulekha