Re: Bash script problem [OT?]

Cam Hutchison <camh@xdna.net> wrote:
> Sigh. Sorry, it was a typo. That explains why it did not work for the OP.

Phew!

These array things are new to me in a shell context - I've used
associative and indexed arrays for years in awk and perl, though - and
after your example didn't work I went digging through the man page.

I missed it the first time I read the paragraph, but then twigged the
explicit use of the word "compound" in the relevant sentence: "When +=
is applied to an array variable using compound assignment (see Arrays
below) ... new values are appended to the array ...". Digging further
I found that "compound" referred to a list assignment such as X=($Y $Z).

Regards,
Chris