Re: [Apache] "Deny" directives silently ignored in config files

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:01:07 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:

>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:51:01 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
>>
>> > I have a server running Apache HTTPD 2.2.16, installed as Debian
>> > package (Debian Squeeze).
>> >
>> > Some time ago, "Deny from XXX" directives were correctly taken into
>> > account, both in .htaccess files and in system-wide configuration
>> > files (/etc/apache2/*). I noticed recently that it is no longer the
>> > case. I suspect that this breakage occured when migrating the server
>> > from Debian Lenny to Debian Squeeze, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> I'd would run a couple of basic tests:
>>
>> - First, as you're on a production server, don't touch the
>> configuration that is currently working and prevent users accessing the
>> "/tmp" location, just create an additional <Location> block that points
>> to a "test" folder with no relevant data on it and check if you get the
>> same behaviour with this.
>
> Yes, this is what I had already done.
>
>> - If the problem persists, instead using <Location> try with
>> <Directory> and see if there's any difference.
>
> I tested that too, and it doesn't change the issue.

(...)

Wow. Let's see if someone can give you any other hint to solve this.

Have you considered in purging the apache package(s) and reinstalling it
again? (with a good set of backup copies for the sites you host, of
course...).

To be sincere, it's not a solution I'd like to go with (and that's why I
always install a new OS from scratch instead doing "in site" upgrades, to
minimize these kind of problems) but considering the same configuration
files are working on a fresh installed system, it seems to indicate the
problem can be of a different nature (package-mix?) :-?

>> > (please, keep me Cc-ed, I'm not subscribed)
>>
>> Sorry, I can't, hope you can read the mailing list archives :-(
>
> Less convenient, but yes, I did check the archives ;-).

Good!

And sorry, but I'm using Pan (newsreader) with Gmane (a "mail to news"
gateway) and I've not found an easy way to send a copy of a message other
than the newsgroup itself.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón