Prompting for settings on first boot of a pre-installed image.

Sometimes it is desirable for a system to be shipped in a pre-installed form. This may be pre-installed on hardware or it may be in the form of an image. In such cases there are a number of questions (language, keyboard layout, hostname, network settings, timezone etc) that will be known to the end user but will not be known to the person doing the installation. There are also certain security settings that should be reset under such scenarios.

The obvious soloution is to set things up so that the user is asked these questions when they first boot thier system. I could probablly roll my own scripts to do this if I had to but i'm wondering if this is an already solved problem and if so whether someone could point me in the direction of the soloution.