Re: Information about Dongle

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:52:00AM +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:
>    Hi List,
>    I want to know if any open source packages available for Dongle? Details
>    about dongle [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_protection_dongle

Generally speaking, dongles are specific to the software they support.
If you are running software that needs a dongle, the software should
provide the necessary drivers, dependencies and/or documentation to
support its dongle.

For example, I recently had to contend with a piece of software that
used a USB dongle. Fortunately, it was written to use the PC/SC daemon
(package: pcscd). The daemon does the hard work of interrogating the
cryptographic key on the USB dongle so the software didn't need to care
too much.

However, other types of dongle are available. Many years ago, I used a
MIDI sequencer that needed a dongle plugged into the parallel port. The
sequencer used its own, internal code to communicate with the dongle.

In summary, it depends. It depends on what you want to do with the
dongle (do you want to add dongle support to your own program? Do you
want to use an existing program with a dongle (whether that program
already supports dongles or not)?). Let us know more.