Re: why trying to contact port 25 popov.debian.org

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:54:28 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

> A VM running squeeze started trying to send email to popov.debian.org
> several days ago (I assume: it's trying port 25).
> http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi says this server is for popcon, and
> that was my first thought.  But /etc/popularity-contest.conf says
> MY_HOSTID="xxxx"
> PARTICIPATE="yes"
> USEHTTP="yes"
> DAY="0"
>
> which I thought meant it would use http.
>
> Have I misunderstood?  Is this a bug?

***
http://popcon.debian.org/FAQ

Q) How can I prevent popularity-contest from sending reports via email?

A) This is not recommended. Reports are sent by email only when the HTTP
submission fails, which is generally caused by a temporary lack of
internet connectivity. By contrast, reports sent by email are stored in
the mail server queue until the internet connectivity is back.

Nevertheless, you can prevent popularity-contest from sending reports via
email by adding
MAILTO=
to /etc/popularity-contest.conf
***