nfs shares have trailing slash in /proc/mounts

I just upgraded from Squeeze to Wheezy and noticed that now NFS exports
have an extra trailing slash in /proc/mounts (aka /etc/mtab, aka
/proc/self/mounts).

> server:/vol/export1/ on /server/mountpath type nfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime…)

But the trailing slash is not originated in /etc/fstab.

> server:/vol/export1 	 /server/mountpath	 nfs 	 rw,...

The problem is that if you try to umount using the same string as in
/etc/fstab, it will not umount.

> umount: server:/vol/export1: not found

If you add the trailing slash, the umount works.

Similarly, if you try to edit fstab based on exports in /proc/mounts
you may have trouble unless you carefully handle trailing slashes.
I noticed this problem because an automated script started failing.

/var/run/mount/utab does not contain the extra trailing slash.

Googling hasn't returned anything directly relevant for NFS, though this
looks close: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=653630

There was a similar problem on CIFS that was labeled a bug and fixed.

Does anyone know if this change was on purpose? I could imagine that somebody
wants to add trailing slashes to directories to make them more readable.

Thanks,
Chris

linux kernel: 3.2.0-2-amd64
nfs-common: 1:1.2.5-4