Re: DVD region codes ?

On 13. april 2012 08:48, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
13.04.2012 01:29, Håkon Alstadheim kirjoitti:
Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently started
requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able to play
DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box and could not
get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run DISCInfo.exe which
confirmed I had not set a region on the drive, but it was NOT region
free (says "lock detected"). So did an older machine that I am CERTAIN
has been able to play that disc before. I ran "regionset(8)" , and the
disc is now playable. I did not need this in the past. Now I guess I
will not be able to play DVDs from other regions. What gives?

For the record, this is probably upstream problem(s), since both my main
boxes, with debian and ubuntu, are affected. I should test this on my
gentoo box as well, but if anybody has any info I'm all for a shortcut.
My alternative right now is to try flashing my DVD-drive to get a
region-free drive. This involves getting the drive into a Windows-box to
get the flash utility to run. Already tried Wine and Freedos.

Disgusted greetings, Håkon.

Do you have libdvdcss2 installed? I think that it should hep with region
locks.
You can get it from http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ .

Yes, thanks, absolutely right. I think I've managed to confuse myself a bit, starting to wonder now which box(es) had the error. Now I've set the region code on all my drives, so testing without is no longer an option. On my debian squeeze box I've got libdvdcss2 and libdvdread4 from debian multimedia. I'm suspecting now that the one that tripped me up was an Ubuntu box. Also with libdvdcss2 and libdvdread4, but the /etc/apt/sources.list seems to be a bit messed up there, as "apt-cache policy" shows no installation source for libdvdcss2. Possibly I have some slight binary incompatibility between my libraries.

Will fix my /etc/apt/sources* , but given that I now have the region set on the drive, I guess I'll never know whether I've actually found the culprit.

Thanks All.