Re: samba VFS Quota or Quota tool

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 01:13:13 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> To setup quotas in samba you basically need setup two things:
>>
>> - Enabling quotas for the mount point that holds the stored data (which
>> usually means installing "quota" and "quota tool" packages).
>>
>> - Enabling samba quotas by configuring the corresponding samba VFS
>> module.
>>
>> (there are many guides and information on how to setup these two things
>> on the Internet...)
>
> did you mean that in order to apply quota i have to implement it in
> samba config file and on mount point also. only applying quota on mount
> point will not work, is that what you mean?

If you want to control the available space from windows clients you have
to enable the corresponding VFS module in samba, which is just editing a
couple of samba configuration lines, nothing more.

> can you please guide me to some proper step by step example?

Nope, sorry. That information can be found easily over Internet ;-)

>> Another thing you do is discarding the use of quotas in the samba share
>> and monitor the available disk space in the linux volume, warning the
>> admin when the disk capacity reaches a defined percentage of use.
>>

> no i can not do that. actually i am the admin and network engineer at
> the same time i am a one man army doing everything :P anyways. our users
> are very irresponsible i know they will dump their personal data to
> their personal folder they think personal folder on fileserver means
> storage for any thing ;) so better telling and teaching every one quota
> is a best solution in my case

Then how about repartition the whole volume in small chunks? That way you
will limiting the available space by the partition size, and this cannot
be avoided, can be easily monitored, you will have more control over the
resources permission...

>> But designing and defining a good policy for samba to fit your network
>> requirements is not a simple task and requires high doses of trial and
>> error tests, fighting with users and permissions before you can put it
>> under production.
>
> thanks for sharing you experience, but i was reading an article the guy
> was suggesting to use a virtual file system image. so that how big you
> create the file your quota will be limited to that image size no matter
> whoever is accessing that share. but definitely this is a work around.
> any suggestion on that?

Mmm... yes, I also have read something like that in some articles and
forum threads but I'd be very hesitant to try it in my own systems (I
value my data) and given that is not the usual case for using a samba
share, should I wanted to explore that option to be implemented in my
network I would first run some tests with unimportant data on the share
and over a virtualmchine to see how it behaves. Sorry, I can't give you
more feedback on this, I have never tried it, but you can do your own
tests :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón