Re: [OT]: yet another linux antivirus fairytale

On 13/04/12 08:41, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
Hi,

an italian newspaper
where the average tech-saviness is near to zero (see the many articles about "Facebook") or the level of fud-iness is near to 100 for tech-related articles
has published an article about security risks and virus related issues on mac osx and obviously linux is cited.
http://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2012/04/12/sicuri-frottole/
He writes: "qualsiasi sistema operativo è vulnerabile ai virus. Lo sanno bene gli utenti Linux, che i software di protezione li usano. **" "any operating system is vulnerable to viruses. Linux know this well and use protection software" [my translation]

I'm not sure what this means, the author probably read somewhere that antiviruses do exist for linux.. but I'm not sure where he gets the assumption that most linux users (he doesn't talk about sysadmins or servers) use antivirus software.

In the article the author states: "[...] First myth: There are no viruses for Mac. In the mythology of fans, the "Big Apple" operating system would be so solid that it can not be broken. False: Any operating system is vulnerable to viruses. Linux users are so well aware about that they use security software. [...]"

Another quote: "[...] the only Mac immune to viruses, ironically, are those who have installed Microsoft software such as Word and Excel. [...]"
In two words I would define it 'journalistic FUD'.

Lorenzo.

regards
-raffaele

--
/L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla protesta violenta e viscerale. (V. Evangelisti)
/