Re: apt-get dist-upgrade failed.

[ Please turn off the HTML part of your messages. ]

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:48:15 +0530, Amrish Purohit wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed debian stable kde with live cd
> "debian-live-6.0.3-i386-kde-desktop.iso".  My PC was not connected
> with internet, so after the installation, my source.list file was
> with only one line of cd - repository. Then I populated
> /source.list/ with following repositories because I want to install
> debian with testing.
>
> ###### Debian Main Repos
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
>
> ###### Debian Update Repos
> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-proposed-updates main
> contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-proposed-updates
> main contrib non-free
>
> ##################### UNOFFICIAL  REPOS ######################

 [ snip: debian-multimedia, google, skype ]

> To convert debian stable in testing, I fired following commands.
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade

For the record: If you want to set up a "testing" system starting from a
"stable" installation CD then I would recommend to only install a
minimal stable system (no graphical environment etc.), upgrade this
minimal system carefully to testing (kernel, udev, dpkg, and apt first,
the do an "upgrade", followed by a "dist-upgrade") and then install the
rest of the system from testing. Your approach is asking for trouble.

> But dist-upgrade failed with following error.
> "E: Could not perform immediate configuration on
> 'phonon-backend-vlc'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under
> APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)"

I think one or more of the following may help to untangle your system:

- Comment out all third-party repositories and run "apt-get update"
  again (as Daniel has already suggested).

- Add the usual lines for the stable repository ("squeeze") to your
  sources list and run "apt-get update". (There may be rare cases where
  a stable package needs to be installed temporarily to help break a
  dependency loop.)

- Run "apt-get install -f", put its complete output on pastebin.com (or a
  similar site) and send us the link.

- Also show us the output of:
  apt-cache policy phonon-backend-vlc libvlc5 libvlccore4
  dpkg -l \*phonon\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $2,$3}'

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu