Re: What files to backup

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:12:05AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:11:55PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Brad Alexander wrote:
> >
> > I find /var/backups to contain very useful information such as the
> > names and versions of all packages that are installed which is useful
> > to a recovery.  Here is a minimum list for me.
> >
> >   /etc
> >   /home
> >   /usr/local
> >   /var/backups
> >   /var/mail
> >   /var/spool/cron
> >
> > If you use /srv then it would have local data too.
> >
> And maybe /opt as well.

Oh, and I also exclude /home/$USER/tmp.  I tell users to put
large-but-unimportant files there, so they will not clog up my backups
(especially the offsite over-the-internet backups).  I don't think most
of my users respect that rule, but I do and it keeps several hundred
gigabytes of unimportant video clips and rips out of my backup drive.

-Rob