Re: netinst CD image - too big, vaguely specified?

On Ma, 10 apr 12, 13:01:48, Curt Howland wrote:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> > No, the businesscard image has never contained the Debian
> > base system; it has always required a network connection to
> > download and install Debian.
>
> Please go find a Woody Business Card image and try it.
>
> Business Card images since Woody all refuse to continue unless they
> can get a network connection to the repositories. Woody's did not, and
> would provide an exceptionally minimalist environment. It wasn't
> (drum-roll please) "The Debian Base System", but it was a working
> Linux install.

'base' in the Debian context has a very specific meaning. Somebody
correct me if I'm wrong but it specifically includes packages with:

Essential: yes (of course)

(and all their dependencies)

You can build an even smaller system, but at that point you may
question whether you really need Debian or if you should go for a
specialized distro (like OpenWRT, etc.).

Kind regards,
Andrei