Re: ICMP handling in Linux

On 11/04/12 02:07, Martin T wrote:
> It's a well known fact that even most(with exceptions like ASR1K) of
> the high-end Cisco or Juniper routers handle ICMP traffic in routing
> engines not in ASIC's

Debian is software - so I can be relied on to never use ASICs ;-p

<snipped>

> How prioritized is ICMP handling in modern Linux 2.6
> and newer kernels?

ICMP has the same priority as other protocols (by default).

> Is it possible to prioritize ICMP handling in
> kernel?

Sure - assign a lower priority policy to other protocols.

> regards,
> martin

If you want more detailed answer to specific situations debian-firewall
"might" be a better list to ask.

Note that Debian also provides a kfreeBSD kernel and HURD servers.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-