Re: [OT] Re: Free as in speech hardware ebook reader

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:21:22 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> On 04/07/2012 07:45 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 00:12:45 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
>>
>>> Having a bad track record of not taking care of "dead tree" books, I
>>> am looking to buy an electronic book reader.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> I'm following very closely the ongoing movements of Kobo¹ and Vivaldi².

(...)

> Thanks! I am more oriented towards the Kobo, since it is an ebook reader
> specifically. The promise of an open platform seems alluring.
>
> Do you know if it runs GNU/Linux or whether I'll be able to install it?
> Seems perfect, reasonably priced too, thanks.

Mmm... according to Wikipedia¹, Kobo e-Readers run "Linux" (no additional
info is given) and according to their spcecs sheet², they're based on SoC,
Freescale processor, thus ARM based³.

I'm not sure how feasible would be installing a different OS on such devices,
but neither forget about guarantee which sure will be lost after replacing
the OS with something else.

> Sorry I didn't mark my post OT, I wasn't sure if it was, since it kind
> of involves Debian.

No prob. I just tagged it as OT just because it was not directly related
to Debian, but regardless related or not I find it an interesting subject
:-)

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_readers#Electronic-paper_displays
²http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech
³http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I.MX#i.MX50_family