Re: [OT] Posting styles

On 09/04/12 00:18, � wrote:
> [...]

Actually it can mean two things. When some people use the term they mean
"interleaved" - it's a debate that's been going for decades.
We've argued "but you're using interleaved posting" and they've argued
"no - our responses are at the bottom of what we're responding to" - and
we've argued "but bottom posting better describes all responses at the
bottom" and they've argued "all our responses are at the bottom - of
each thing we're replying to, and we've pointed out they're obsessed
with bottoms, and so the argument continues without punctuation  ;-p

<snipped>

> ***
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting
>
> In the "bottom-posting" style, the reply is appended to a full or partial
> copy of the original message. The name bottom-posting is sometimes used
> for inline-style replies, and indeed the two formats are the same when
> only one point is being replied to.
> ***
>
>> Therefore, it makes sense to have *THREE* different definitions.
>> correct?
>
> (...)
>
> Not at all when two of them (inline and bottom posting) share 99% of
> their features. Feel free to edit the Wikipedia article to match your own
> opinion ;-)
>
> Greetings,

No need (pays to read the whole page):-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style
as suggested here:-
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guidelines.2C_and_Tips

This is a problem with wikipedia - which distguishes between bottom and
interleaved, but doesn't show that, as Miles (?) has already pointed out
- what was is sometimes called bottom posting can 'mean' interleaved
posting.

So - it's acceptable to put a your responses beneath the body of the
original post *if* the point you're reply to is at the bottom of the
post. Preferably anything not relevant to your point/s would be trimmed
from the original post.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-