Re: grub2 screen resolution

On 04/04/12 11:37, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
Hi,

When I install a Squeeze machine, or when I update a Lenny machine to Squeeze, the first thing I do is to change the screen resolution so I can get some more tekst on the console when I need it. Of course most of the time I use ssh (or PuTTY) to go to a server and I can choose the screen size om my desktop but when there is a problem and I need to be at the console it is nice if there can be more then 80 chars on a line and 25 lines on a screen. :-(

I do not understand the defaults build into Grub2.
For instace the default resolution, it is at 640x480. Which machine running Linux cannot at least use 800x600? Or is Grub2 made with hendhelds as a target environment as well?

Some of my older, smaller laptops only display up to 800x480, for one example.

The second thing I don not understand it why Grub2 will not keep the screen resolution after the menu has gone. Why does it by default ALWAYS go back to 640x480 even when the menu is shown at a higher resolution? I can understand there being a option NOT to keep the menu resolution if that may be nedded but by default it should keep the same resolution.

Right now I have to add a line GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600 to the /etc/default/grub file each time. That part I kan still understand, eventhough I think that should be the default resolution.
But I also have to change the /etc/grub.d/00_header script each time by adding the line set gfxpayload=keep at the proper place.

You should not need to change the 00_header script.

Adding a line into /etc/default/grub, after the GRUB_GFXMODE entry with

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

should make grub keep the screen resolution.

You will need to run update-grub to regenerate and install the change configuration of course.

Is this a bug in the Grub2 system that will be resolved or does this need users to "bug" the Grub developers to change this? If the latter, how and where to I (and others) tell them that?

It is not a bug.

--
Dom