Unable to mount external USB devices -- Wheezy KDE

For years I have been able to use external hard drives and thumb drives
on my systems, but not since I installed Wheezy.

I get the following on inserting a SanDisk thumb drive:

"The requested operation has failed.: Error mounting: mount exited with
exit code 1: helper failed with: Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS
block devices using the external FUSE library. Either mount the volume
as root, or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated FUSE support and make it
setuid root. Please see more information at
http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#unprivileged";

I certainly hope there is another solution besides rebuilding packages.
I want to be able to read/write/transfer files as my normal user.

In K->Settings->System Settings->Removable Devices I checked "Enable
automatic mounting of removable media", "Mount all removable media at
login", and "Automatically mount removable media when attached".

In the Attached Devices list of that dialog, "SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro"
is listed and "Automount on attach is checked.

The problem is not limited to devices with NTFS file systems; I can't
mount ext2 or ReiserFS devices either.