Re: When will Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x be Released?

On 27/03/12 06:04, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
Hi,

I am actually looking forward to Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x. As we all know, Debian 6.0.x is still using the old Linux Kernel 2.6.

When will Debian 7.0 be released? Debian with Linux Kernel 3.x release seems very slow when all the other Linux distros already have the latest Linux Kernel 3.x. Why do I want Linux Kernel 3.x? Because I want to play around with Xen virtualization (dom0 required).

Debian developers, please speed up! I love Ubuntu and Debian Linux!!! I am already using Debian wheezy with my Samsung Intel Atom N455 1.6 GHz netbook, with Shorewall Firewall configuration.

Thank you very much.

You could use SID.

I have it on a desktop I use every day and 99% of the time it works well. Every so often (like a few days ago with libpcre) some crucial package gets messed up and my computer does too - but normally there is a pretty quick away around it, or a fix will be forthcoming within a day or so.

I use squeeze on my servers - here stability is more important than bleeding edge and that seems to work just fine. The only additional software packages (other than those in the standard repositor) that I generally install on the servers are web packages like (for instance) drupal or wordpress. But they just use the underlying LAMP stack.

If these extra packages don't work with Squeeze, I just regard that as one more criteria with which to judge them as unsuitable.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk