sharing desktop on debian - freenx?

Ive seen that the most optimal sharing desktop is freenx but i "aptsearched" (new verb guys! if i can google something i can certanly aptsearch as well :) freenx does not give any result back on repositories. Searching freenx and debian in the internet give guides ranging from 3 to 6 years old.

I know lots of people here can handle just fine without sharing desktop, but when you give remote support over the net is a must, and vnc does not cut it over the internet on low bandwidth links.

Since its so hard to install anything like this from repositories, I think im not moving towards the more popular and tested solution. Are you people using freenx or is there any other implementation/protocol i dont know of?

Thanks in advance!

greets!
aL