Re: Random grumble to anybody doing translation-work, esp. to norwegian.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:28:29 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> dijo:

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:19:03 +0200, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
>
>> I hate it when "y/N ?" gets translated into "j/N ?", and then the
>> proggy will not accept "j" as an answer. Only "y".
>>
>> (pertains to norwegian translations).
>
>:-)
>
>Then better contact the norwegian translation team¹ and share your
>concern with them but I think this is a sort of convention for all the
>translations teams.

The problem is not in the translation, but the program. The Norwegian
version of the program should not just change the menus, but also
change the code so "j" and "J" are accepted as positive answers.

What should really happen is that all programs should access the
language settings of the computer they are being run on, and there
should be an internal flag so the program will accept the proper input
for the language in use on the computer.

The y/N input is only one of countless places where the language
affects the input. I'll bet if Håkon pokes around in the program more
such problems will surface.