Re: When will Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x be Released?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:04:57 +0800, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:

> I am actually looking forward to Debian 7.0 with Linux Kernel 3.x. As we
> all know, Debian 6.0.x is still using the old Linux Kernel 2.6.

Kernel 3.x is just a naming marketing strategy, indeed it's 2.6.40.
Anyway, there's a kernel 3.2 available in the backports.

> When will Debian 7.0 be released?

AFAIK, it will be frozen in ~June, released... nobody knows, that's a
feature.

> Debian with Linux Kernel 3.x release seems very slow when all the other
> Linux distros already have the latest Linux Kernel 3.x. Why do I want
> Linux Kernel 3.x? Because I want to play around with Xen virtualization
> (dom0 required).

You can go to "www.kernel.org", download the greatest and latest 3.3
(still in devel branch) and compile by yourself using your current kernel
".config" file.

> Debian developers, please speed up!

Please don't, keep things stable and take your time :-)

> I love Ubuntu and Debian Linux!!!

(...)

>From your last posts to the list, nobody would have said it...

Greetings,