Re: Question about make-kpkg and versions

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 06:49:58 -0400 (EDT), Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> I am trying to understand how make-kpkg chooses the versions for the
> packages it creates. Each package has a name(a), which contains a
> version part(a1), as well as a version(b), which is further split in
> upstream version(b1) and Debian revision(b2), right? Assuming this, I'll
> ask my question in the form of a quiz: :-)

Hello, Panayiotis.  I would start by reviewing "Step 9" in my kernel
building web page, http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
It doesn't use the same terminology as you do, but maybe it will help
explain things.  The man page is out of date with respect to the
default value of --revision, if it is omitted.  The default was changed
recently to conform with current Debian policy, but the man page is
out of date.  I suggest that you use the latest version of kernel-package,
version 12.036+nmu2, plus the patch which I mention at the end of step 6.
I wouldn't omit --revision if I were you.  I always specify it to match
the package version of the kernel source package.  Read the web
page, especially step 9, to get my complete methodology for my kernel
version and kernel revision naming convention.  You are, of course,
entitled to do it differently; but this method makes sense to me.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :