Re: Installing Debian as VirtualBox guest - which videodriver to install?

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
> the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso
>
> so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.
>
> I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
> system?

You don't need to install one at all.  Install the packages
build-essential and the appropriate linux-headers package for your
system.  Then select "Install Guest Additions" from the VirtualBox
"Devices" menu.  Run the "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" script from the
virtual CD that mounts.  Then reboot.

That should be all there is to it.

Note that you will need to rebuilt the Guest Additions every time the
kernel is upgraded so you may prefer copying the
VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file to somewhere in your guest's filesystem.
I just put it in /root myself.

--
Chris