Re: ethernet card problem

Thanks Scott.
This gets more fascinating and bizarre.
Option (1) seems to require implementation from within a working system the same as the target system for the installer.
So to Option (2). Accessing the website and each subdirectory was agonizingly slow. But we got there in the end. And <firmware-6.0.4-amd64-netinst.iso> was downloaded, md5sum checked, and burnt to a CD.
Thence to installation - and the same deadstop occurred when searching for network hardware.
When I got to ejecting the CD, I noticed the file manager named it <debian-6.0.4-amd64-netinst.iso>.
That is: it was actually the standard installer.
Flabergasted, I very carefully repeated the procedure with precisely the same outcome.
Dear oh dear, what the hell is going on here? Are there saboteurs at work? Paranoid question - but it makes no sense: the live DVD boots OK, so must include the non-free firmware, but the installer launched from within the live DVD cannot access the firmware that is on the DVD.
The hours wasted, and the mounting frustration, lead me to ask again: what ethernet card(s) will definitely work with the standard installer?
Cheers
Alan Kerns