Re: Can no longer mount SDHC card

On Mar 23, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:59:56 -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

On 03/22/12 10:47, Camaleón wrote:
To be sincere, I'm still unsure about what log file holds what
information. In openSUSE, the main log was "/var/log/messages" and you
had to look there to see the most relevant information, but here
(Debian) seems to be "/var/log/syslog". Then there are additional small files for authentication, user and other stuff I never remember which
is disseminated into small registries files.

Take a look at /etc/rsyslog.conf

Nothing of interest (for the matter) here.

and
	man rsyslog.conf rsyslogd

Still no way to know where messages are being dropped.

I would like to see more integration/compatibility in this regard coming
from all distributions.

All your questions will be answered (albeit cryptically) there.

Mmm... I'm afraid they're not ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Perhaps I didn't understand your question.

Those man pages, along with the rsyslog.conf file will give you the general rules governing which messages get sent into which log files. Any particular messages will be a special case of those general rules. I did say that they were cryptic. So the application of the rules may require specialized knowledge, often available only by examining the source code.

Perhaps your question was prompted by the need for that specialized knowledge? If that's the case, I apologize for misunderstanding.

Rick