Re: console keyboard layout (dvorak)

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 07:39, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> But things get weired, everything is normal on the tty terminal, but
> on console (hope it's the right name for it).

Setting aside the rest for the moment, we should clarify terminology.

When you log in without a GUI, or switch to them with ctrl-alt-F1 (etc),
you are dealing with TTYs. That is clear. Then things get confusing
because in casual conversation, people overload meanings.

Terminal is a TTY, but people often use the word for any command
line interface, notably for terminal emulators, which are the
windows in X that have a command line. Xterm is the "default"
terminal emulator, and people sometimes call any terminal
emulator (rxvt, gnome-terminal, konsole) an "xterm".

Console should be (or was) a piece of hardware acting as a
terminal. But now its meaning is often as vague as terminal.

When the distinction matters, I find it it easiest to say "TTY"
for ctrl-alt-F1 etc. and "xterm" or "terminal emulator" for
command line windows in X. Yes, it is annoying.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers