Re: Re: vsftp problems

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:11:34AM -0500, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> From: Sven Hoexter <sven@timegate.de>
> Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 07:49:46 +0100
> > There are at least two options. ;)
>
> > 1) Stop inetd all together if you don't run any services through
> > inetd (or xinetd).
>
> To what purpose?  There is no harm in letting inetd run vsftpd.

Well back in the old days we had the tradeoff between startup
time and RAM capacity. Nowdays we have none of that except for
high traffic sites with a lot of connections.

As rule of thumb I'd say if you don't know inetd and the benefits
you might have, don't use it and simply stop it.

In the end you're free to choose but it seems that a running inetd
causes some confusion from time to time.

Sven