Re: kernel modesetting - set only at boot, or changeable?

Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
The resolution can be changed with KMS activated, e.g., with xrandr when X is
running.
Further reading:
http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/11/02/howto-enabling-kernel-mode-setting-kms-in-debian-linux-kernel/
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon

Can it be changed before/without starting X?

Currently I'm trying to solve the following problem (on a system not yet
set up enough to run X):

If I boot with my KVM switch connecting my monitor to my Squeeze system,
I get a video resolution of 1920x1080 pixels (the resolution of my
monitor), giving me virtual consoles with 240 x 67 characters.

If I boot with my KVM switch connecting my monitor elsewhere,
then of course I get a different video resolution--1024x768 pixels
(apparently what my KVM sends in that state when the real monitor isn't
connected), giving virtual consoles with 128 x 48 or so characters.

I want to override Linux's auto-detection and just set the video
resolution to 1920x1080 so that the resolution won't depend on the
KVM switch state at boot time.

Although I can set the video mode in Grub's command line for the kernel,
I'd really prefer to do it somewhere in the booted system (e.g., via
/etc/init.d/... and /etc/defaults/... or whatever) rather than in
Grub on my shared /boot partition (which could get clobbered more
easily).)

Thanks,
Daniel