Re: I cannot log in to my debian wheezy system!

see below.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 05:46, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
[Please!, don't top post in this mailing list.]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 12:36:38AM -0400, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> Hola!
>
> I- m starting to get desperate! I found lots of instructions on the
> web about how to solve this, but none of them works.  Example, I
> founmd this
>
> In grub press e ton edit options
> add to init options
>
> init=/bin/sh
> RET
> press b to boot
> Then mount -o remount,rw /
> passwd kjetil
> (repeating new password twice)
> exec init

Instead of changing your password like that, what I'd do is after "mount
-o remount,rw" I'd "vim /etc/passwd" and take out the x for root:

i.e before:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

after
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

save it, (make sure it saved ok.) then reboot.

You should now be able to login as root without needing a password
and investigate from there.

Does that work?

Thanks. So far not .

Several problems:

¿Whats the point with the line init=/bin/sh     ?

It does not seem to work, I am dropped into bash

¿shoud I remove the x in /etcv/passwd or in /etc/shadow  or in both?

so far I tried in /etc/passwd
and it does not work.

Kjetil
  -- Napoleon Bonaparte