LUKS/ dm-crypt/ ext4 appears to be single threaded

debian-user:

I have a 1.5 TB SATA hard drive I use for back-up's. It has a single large partition encrypted with LUKS/ dm-crypt and formatted with ext4. I've noticed what appears to be single-threaded behavior when one process is performing a long-lived write to the disk (notably 'ssh user@host tar ... > backupfile.tar.gz') and another process attempts to access the disk (either read or write). This is tolerable for a back-up application, but would not be acceptable for multi-user, multi-process, and/or multi-threaded applications (file server, terminal server, web server, etc.).

Is this a fundamental limitation of LUKS, dm-crypt, and/or ext4, or something I've configured/ misconfigured?

If a fundamental limitation, is there something I can substitute to eliminate the problem?

Some manufacturers make hard drives with built-in encryption. Are these supported by Debian, Linux, or BSD?

    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/self-encrypting-drives/

Any other comments or suggestions?

TIA,

David