Re: vsftp problems

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:50:38 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, Jon Dowland wrote:
>> Try running /usr/sbin/vsftpd by hand (as root) from a session on your
>> server.  Does it print any diagnostic output?
> OK. Now I have 3 machines that are setup identically. The vsftpd.conf
> files have the following settings:
>
>      Listen=YES
>      #Listen_IPV6
>      Anonymous=YES
>      #Local_enabled=YES
>      #Write_enabled=YES
>
> One of the machines starts fine with 'service vsftpd start' . The other
> two don't.
> When I try to start with /usr/sbin/vsftpd, the good machine hangs up.
> The other two come back with:
>
>      500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket
>
> I've checked all the file permissions and everything else I can think of
> and have found nothing different between the systems. Two of the systems
> are exact down to the hardware.

There are some hits for that message when you make a Google search, for
instance:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4826851/500-oops-could-not-bind-listening-ipv4-socket

> If I ftp the good machine from one of the others I get:
>
>      Connected to xxxxxxxx.home.
> 220 (vsFTPd 2.3.2)
> Name (xxxxxxxx:root): gary
> 530 This FTP server is anonymous only. Login failed.
> ftp>
>
> The 'gary' is my reply.

Try with "anonymous" and blank password, instead.

> I am about to throw in the towel on this unless someone can come up with
> an answer. Very frunstrated.

Don't give up... as the title of a book says: "the impossible takes just
a bit longer" ;-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón