Re: help needed with initial use of IrDa and LIRC

On 16/03/12 14:59, keitho@strucktower.com wrote:
> I have never used IR before, and I thought I'd try to use it on my old
> Dell laptop. I simply want to be able to invoke commands using an
> arbitrary remote.
>
> I'm confused as to whether I should use IrDa or LIRC, or both. The man
> pages and other docs I've read don't discuss the difference/relationship
> between IrDa and LIRC.

It's been a while since I looked into this, so someone might prove me
wrong but as I understand it IrDA and general remote-control type IR are
different and incompatible. IrDA on a laptop is (as far as a PC in
concerned) a serial port, while an IR sender/receiver is a generic device.