Re: problem with apt-get upgrade

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 09:40:10PM +0000, Richard wrote:
> Hi
> All downloads , but I'm getting this:-
>
> Setting up initscripts (2.88dsf-22) ...
> insserv: warning: script 'K50vmware-USBArbitrator' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: warning: script 'K01vmware' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: warning: script 'vmware' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: warning: script 'vmware-USBArbitrator' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: There is a loop at service minissdpd if started
> insserv: Starting vmware-USBArbitrator depends on minissdpd and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
>
> The last line scrolls down the page.
> Do I need to uninstall vmware to get this to run ?

No.

You have two options. First is to install a version of VMWare that
supports the (now just about standard) initscript headers. If there is
no such version, pester the upstream authors to update their
initscripts.

Second is to create an override, so that you add the headers manually.
That is, create a file /etc/insserv/overrides/FOO (where FOO is the name
of the initscipt being run. Note, not the symlink name. If K01vmware
points to /etc/init.d/vmware, then create
/etc/insserv/overrides/vmware). In that file, write your initscript
header (see http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts for details). You
should then be able to update your system.

--
Darac Marjal