Re: Grub finds a distro, but messes up grub.cfg

On 15/03/12 07:40 PM, Brian wrote:
On Thu 15 Mar 2012 at 16:12:04 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

I installed yet another distro yesterday (on sda7), chose not to have it
install the boot loader, exited after the install and rebooted into
Debian Sid. From the command line I updated grub.cfg via update-grub.
Rebooted again and found that Grub had written 3 lines, all the same for
the new installation (which was absolute linux by the way).

We might be able toguess the distro has something to do with Slackware
but ..... the three lines? Give us a hint, please. :)

  What do you want to know ?

It had no trouble finding the kernel.

You mean you booted into the OS?

  No, I mean Grub found the new kernel on sda7. Later I booted into
the distro without a problem. Matter of fact I can boot into Absolute
using any of the 3 lines Grub wrote into grub.cfg..there are identical.

                                       This is what is in sda7/boot/

boot_message.txt
config
config-huge-smp-3.2.7-smp
inside.bmp
onlyblue.bmp
README.initrd
slack.bmp
System.map
System.map-huge-smp-3.2.7-smp
tuxlogo.bmp
vmlinuz
vmlinuz-huge-smp-3.2.7-smp

These are files that the distro put into /boot. Seems ok.

Any clues as to why Grub is doing what it's doing ?

Doing what?

and found that Grub had written 3 lines,(into grub.cfg) all the same for the new installation (which was absolute linux by the way).

--
Cheers
Frank