vsftp problems

Hi

Setting up vsftp should be a snap. Just follow the howto. Right. With listen=YES in the .conf file and try to ftp the server from another system on my network, I get:

On the server:
root@xxxxx2:/etc# service vsftpd start
Started FTP server: vsftpd

Note: ps xaf doesn't show vsftpd to be running

On the client

root@xxxxxx1:/etc# ftp xxxxxx2
Connected to xxxxxx2.home.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp>

with listen=NO an attempt to restart on the server resulted in the following:

root@/xxxxx2: /etc# service vsftpd restart
Stopping FTP server: No /usr/bin/vsftpd found running. None killed.
vsftpd.
/etc/vsftpd.conf: listen disabled - service will not start.

In short neither inet.d start or standalone start seems to work. The .conf file is right out of the documentation.

These are both Debian Squeeze systems that are up to date.

Help will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R